Friday, December 7, 2012

Not Just a Final Exam


Comm30 is not just a campaign, and it is not just a final project.

When Professor Littau first proposed the idea of having a giant class project instead of a final, I was excited. The thought of studying for hours to take another difficult exam, along with the rest of my finals, was horrifying. Therefore, this group project was refreshing, and seemed like less pressure.

Although the pressure to do well on an exam was gone, now came a new kind of pressure- one that I had never experienced before. Now I was part of a team, and we had a goal.

Raising $5000 in 30 days is no easy task, and therefore I knew slacking off was not an option. Working with my classmates is  great, because knowing the people that were interested in the project helps motivate myself to do well, rather than working anonymously.

This wasn't just a project for my ambitious classmates and professor, this project is personal for me. Many of my friends from home were affected by Sandy, so completing this project successfully won’t just mean a good grade for my transcript- it will mean that I made a real difference.

The numerous different parts of the project can seem overwhelming at stressful times, yet inspiring at others. My Comm 30 class is using the topics we've learned about all year in the real world to make a difference.

I am lucky enough to be a part of this project, and you can be too.

#COMM30Sandy is an online class project for the Media & Society class at Lehigh University, taught by professor Jeremy Littau. You can donate to our campaign at this link, and for more information you can email Prof. Littau at jeremy.littau(at)lehigh.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment