Monday, December 3, 2012

#COMM30SANDY Using Social Media to Make a Difference

I live in Upper Manhattan, so as the storm did not effect me as much as it did others, I still saw some of the damage it caused. We lost power for only one night, and I was lucky. This storm turned my family and friends' lives around.

I went home for the storm and I remember at first, I did not realize the extent of how hard the storm hit some areas. It wasn't until I was in a taxi and drove past 42nd street, into the darkness, that I understood the devastation this storm caused, and also, I knew that the power outage of downtown Manhattan wasn't even the worst of the damage. It is devastating that people lost their homes and loved ones, but we can help.

I was very excited when I found out that my class was going to help raise money for Hurricane Sandy victims. Not only is this project helping us understand how to apply using what we have learned about the power of social media, but we also are helping a great cause that really needs attention. I was very proud that we reached our goal of $5,000 but we still are encouraging people to donate, because really, every penny counts.

Months after the storm hit, people are still in need of help and so, I urge you to please donate to our cause. It only takes a second, and even just donating $5 is encouraged.


#COMM30Sandy is an online class project for the Media & Society class at Lehigh University, taught by professor Jeremy Littau. You can donate to our campaign at this link, and for more information you can email Prof. Littau at jeremy.littau@lehigh.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment