Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

I remember watching the news the weekend before Sandy hit and began thinking there is no way a hurricane can hit Lehigh the same time it did last year. But surely I was wrong. It did hit the same day and did worse damage. The day it hit I remember there was wind blowing violently and it was raining. Trees were being torn right out the ground like they weighed nothing. Power went out around the campus pretty quickly. The rest of campus went out not too far afterwards. Most of the campus fled before the storm hit but there was still a few people left on campus either because of sports or waiting to get picked up. I was one of those few for sports and my friends and I spent the powerless night playing card games using the emergency lights to play the game. My friends and I were able to make light of the situation the night. The next day I was forced to evacuate and live in a hotel for a night and a day with some friends. The Aftermath of the storm was an unbelievable sight. Huge trees were ripped out the ground laying around on campus.
But all of this is little to none to the aftermath of the storm for the people on the east coast! Homes and cars were destroyed along with areas flooded and left without power. These people are struggling to make a living now. They had to adjust their way of living to accommodate no power and possibly life in a shelter to live in for the time being. This storm effected thousands of people and my heart goes out to all of those still suffering from the aftermath of the storm. I just wanted to make people be aware that this storm affected thousands of people and some are still struggling. These people need our help! I ask you to please donate and help these people get through and rebuild their lives back to normal.


#COMM30Sandy is an online class project for the Media & Society class at Lehigh University, taught by professor Jeremy Littau. You can donate to our campaign at this link, and for more infomation you can email Prof. Littau at jeremy.littau(at)lehigh.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment